Guided Public Hikes
April Through November, Select Saturdays
(Not available December through March)
Learn about the experience of 19th century freedom seekers and Montgomery County residents in a guided hike of the Underground Railroad Experience Trail. Discover techniques used for navigation, eluding detection, and finding food/shelter.
Round trip: 2 miles on a natural surface hiking trail. The trail is not ADA accessible or stroller friendly. Woodlawn Museum admission included. Appropriate for ages 7 and up.
Fee: $8 per person Program Length: approx. 1 1/2 hours
Time: 10 am
Guided hikes resume April 2023
TO REGISTER: Go to ActiveMontgomery keyword search “UGRR”. Reservations and tickets not sold over the phone. Limited walk-in availability day of program, based upon pre-registration numbers.
*Currently each attendee must be registered as an individual member of your household account in ActiveMontgomery.*
For ActiveMontgomery Account questions:
Contact ActiveMontgomery Help Desk
For program questions: Contact Woodlawn’s Reservations Office Wednesday – Friday 10 am – 3 pm
(301) 929-5989 (#5) or Email MCP-WoodlawnPrograms@montgomeryparks.org
Preparing for the Hikes
- Dress appropriate for the weather- typically temperatures are 10 degrees cooler in the woods
- Wear comfortable shoes suitable for hiking on a natural surface trail (rocks, branches, mud, etc.)
- There are no amenities available on the trail. Bring your own water, insect repellent, sunscreen, hand sanitizer and wipes
- Pets are not allowed on guided hikes except for therapeutic animals
- Due to interpretive content, the program is recommended for ages 7 and up
- Program canceled for heavy rain/thunderstorms or poor trail conditions (for example, fallen trees or very muddy trail conditions from heavy rain).
Program Covid-19 Preventative Measures:
- Be aware that maintaining physical distancing on the trail may not always be possible.
- If a participant is sick or has symptoms, stay home.
- Tour guides will be utilizing portable voice amplifiers to aide in social distancing. No shared use materials will be distributed