Garden of Lights
Returns to Brookside Gardens for the 2022 winter season!
The Garden of Lights display transforms Brookside Gardens into a magical winter wonderland. Stroll through the one-half mile, outdoor, walk-through exhibit and enjoy the twinkling lights and glimmering one-of-a-kind displays adorning the flowerbeds and grounds throughout the 50-acre horticultural gem in Wheaton.
Shop for unique seasonal items at the Gift Shop
Hot chocolate and light snacks will be available for purchase
Garden of Lights will open on November 18, 2022. The exhibit is open every night through January 1, 2023, except November 21-24 and December 24-25, 2022.
- Tickets are $10 per person, age five and older, and are only available to purchase online at Eventbrite.com.
- Every person five and older must have a ticket.
- Tickets are timed entry with a specific day and entrance time for your arrival.
- Please print a hard copy of your digital tickets to bring with you to the event.
- You must arrive within thirty minutes of your ticketed time slot to redeem your ticket.
- Tickets are non-refundable.
- Garden of Lights is an outdoor, rain or shine event. Please dress accordingly.
- What are the dates and times for Garden of Lights 2022?
Garden of Lights runs from Friday, November 18, 2022, to Monday, January 2, 2023. It will be open daily, 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Garden of Lights will be closed November 21 to 24 and December 24 to 25.
- How much is admission to Garden of Lights 2022
Tickets are $10 per person ages five and older. Each person ages five and older in your party must have a ticket.
- How do I get tickets for Garden of Lights 2022?
Tickets go on sale Tuesday, October 11. All tickets must be purchased in advance online through Eventbrite before your visit. Same-day tickets must be purchased by 4 pm. Ticket prices are $10 per person ages five and older. To buy tickets, visit Eventbrite.com.
- Will tickets be sold at the gate?
No, tickets for Garden of Lights will not be sold at the gates. All tickets must be purchased in advance online at Eventbrite.com before your visit.
- So, I have purchased my tickets. What do I do when I arrive?
Arrive within thirty minutes of the timed entry on your ticket. If you can, print out your tickets. And, before approaching the gate, have your paper tickets ready. If you’re using your phone to redeem your ticket, please have the tickets on your screen and maximize the light.
- What if I don’t have a computer or a smartphone to buy tickets online?
Stop by Brookside Gardens’ Visitor Center, 1800 Glenallan Avenue, before your visit, and information desk staff will assist you in buying tickets online. In-person ticketing assistance is available at the Visitor Center daily 9 am to 3 pm. Same-day tickets must be purchased by 4 pm.
- Are tickets refundable for Garden of Lights 2022?
All ticket sales are final and nonrefundable. Garden of Lights is open during rain, snow, and clear weather. Please dress appropriately for the weather the day of your visit. However, if Brookside Gardens does cancel the event, you will be refunded the full ticket price of $10 per person.
- Are service fees refundable?
No, service fees are nonrefundable. They are Eventbrite service fees.
- Can I transfer or change tickets to another time or date?
Transferring tickets can easily be done by the customer on the Eventbrite website or app. Tickets may be transferred or changed to a different date or time no later than 4pm on the day of your scheduled time. Each ticket must be transferred individually on Eventbrite by the ticket purchaser. The availability of tickets for another date or time is not guaranteed.
- Are you offering any discounts for Garden of Lights 2022?
No discounts are available.
- Can I use my tickets from the previous Garden of Lights?
No, you must buy tickets online at Eventbrite for Garden of Lights 2022. Each person aged five and older in your party must have a ticket
Arriving by car
Parking is available at the the Main Entrance 1800 Glenallan Avenue as well as the Conservatory Entrance 1500 Glenallan Avenue.
Arriving on foot or bike
Pedestrians can use either the entrance at 1800 Glenallan Avenue or the entrance via the path at 2000 Shorefield Road near the Wheaton Regional Park playground. You must have purchased tickets in advance online for every person five years of age and older in your group. Tickets will not be available at the gates.
Arriving via the Shorefield Entrance path
- Where can I find the path to the Shorefield entrance?
It begins in the parking lot near the playground at Wheaton Regional Park’s Shorefield entrance at 2000 Shorefield Road. There will also be directional signage.
- How long is the path to the Garden of Lights Shorefield entrance?
The lit path to the Visitor Center is approximately half a mile or an eight-minute walk or two-minute bike ride.
- Will the Shorefield entrance path have lights and security?
Yes, this path will have lights and Park Police at the top of the path and at the gate entrance.
- Where can I park my bike, if I take this entrance?
If you take the Shorefield path, you will park your bike at the entrance gate to Brookside Gardens’ Garden of Lights. Bikes are not allowed inside Brookside Gardens.
- How long will the Shorefield entrance be open each night during Garden of Lights?
The Shorefield entrance will be open each night during Garden of Lights from 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm.
- Is the Shorefield entrance accessible?
Yes, the path is accessible for wheelchairs.
- Can I walk or bike to Garden of Lights from Orebaugh area or near the dog park or Pine Lake?
No. This path will not have security or lights.
Arriving by public transportation
Visitors can take a bus from Glenmont Metro station to Randolph and Heurich Roads. Then, you will walk about .3 mile to Brookside Gardens’ main entrance at 1800 Glenallan Road, Wheaton. You can plan your trip via WMATA’s Trip Planner(opens in a new tab).
Arriving by ride share
Visitors arriving by ride share must use the entrance at 1800 Glenallan Avenue.
Arriving by bus, van or limousine
Busses, vans, and limousines are by advanced registration only. Costs are:
- 15-24 passenger bus/van/limo $150
- 25-35 passenger bus $250
- 36-57 passenger bus $360
- Please email: BrooksideGardenOfLights@MontgomeryParks.org.
- What type of experience is Garden of Lights?
Garden of Lights is an outdoor walk-through light exhibit on a half-mile paved trail featuring secular displays of flowers, plants, insects, animals, and other characters. The light display is open during rain, snow, and clear weather.
- Are there any new light displays this year?
Yes, new features this year include a winter wonderland scene with tall ice-like formations and falling snow in the Rose Garden and oversized colorful flower forms throughout the formal gardens. All of the new displays were handcrafted by Montgomery Parks staff.
- What COVID-19 safety precautions are you taking during Garden of Lights?
Brookside Gardens continues to follow Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines.
- Will there be music during Garden of Lights 2022?
No, there won’t be any music this year at Garden of Lights.
- Will the miniature train display be on exhibit in the Conservatory during Garden of Lights?
No, The Garden Railway exhibit will not be open during Garden of Lights hours. You can view the Garden Railway exhibit for free during the Conservatory’s daytime hours from 10 am to 3:45 pm, Friday, November 25 – Sunday, January 1 (closed on December 24 and 25). Note: Buildings and grounds will close to the public at 4 pm each day during Garden of Lights then reopen for the ticketed event at 5:30 pm.
- Will the Visitor Center be open during Garden of Lights?
Yes, the Visitor Center will be open, and bathrooms will be available.
- Will there be concessions at Garden of Lights?
Yes. Hot drinks and light refreshments will be available for purchase at the food vendor outdoors.
- Can I bring my own food?
Outside food and drink, other than bottled water, is not permitted at Brookside Gardens.
- Can I bring my dog to Garden of Lights?
Only service dogs are allowed at Brookside Gardens.
- How do I dress for Garden of Lights?
Garden of Lights is an outdoor light display enjoyed by walking. The full experience is about one-half mile. Wear comfortable shoes, and dress for the weather. Garden of Lights is open during rain, snow, or clear skies.
- If the weather is bad, how do I find out if Garden of Lights 2022 is canceled?
- Can I arrive early to Brookside Gardens and stay until Garden of Lights opens?
Brookside Gardens will close to all visitors at 4 pm then reopen at 5:30 pm to Garden of Lights ticket holders.
- Can I leave Garden of Lights and come back on the same night?
No, re-entry is not allowed.
- Are the paths at Gardens of Lights 2022 accessible for wheelchairs and strollers?
Yes, the paths are accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
- Can I borrow a wheelchair at Garden of Lights 2022?
Yes, we have a wheelchair available at the Visitor Center on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Will bathrooms be open?
Yes, bathrooms will be open at the Visitor Center during Garden of Lights.
- Will the Gift Shop be open?
Yes, the Gift Shop at the Visitor Center will be open during Garden of Lights for you to take home a souvenir and for holiday shopping.
- Is photography allowed during Garden of Lights?
Personal photography is allowed. All special occasion photography requires a permit. This includes, but not limited to, proposals, weddings, engagement, family, and birthday photo shoots. If you are unsure if your photos require a permit, contact us to find out: firstname.lastname@example.org(opens in a new tab) or 301.962.1404.
- Can I have a party or special ceremony during Garden of Lights?
Yes, limited opportunities are available. Contact our events office: email@example.com(opens in a new tab) or 301.962.1404.
- Can I tag you on social media?
YES! Brookside Gardens is @BrooksideGardens on Facebook. Our account is “Brookside Gardens, Montgomery Parks.” On Instagram and Twitter, please tag @MontgomeryParks and use hashtags #BrooksideGardens #MoCoParks.
- Can I do a live shot or livestreaming at Garden of Lights?
Please contact Media Manager Melissa Chotiner at Melissa.Chotiner@MontgomeryParks.org(opens in a new tab).
Have an additional question about Garden of Lights?
Contact Brookside Gardens’ information desk at 301.962.1400 or email MCPGardens@MontgomeryParks.org.