Accommodations and Inclusion
In keeping with the mission of Montgomery Parks, the Program Access staff ensure individuals with disabilities are welcomed to participate in enjoyable leisure-time activities in accessible places and programs.
Program Access also referred to as “Inclusion”, is the means by which individuals with disabilities are welcome to participate in Montgomery Parks recreation and leisure activities of their choice. Reasonable modifications are provided to enable an individual’s successful participation in a program.
Program Access is Right for You or Your Child if you:
- are interested in the subject.
- are comfortable in various inclusive environments.
- can meet the registration requirements.
- can follow the rules of conduct.
- can remain engaged in scheduled activities for most of the program time.
- can communicate basic needs.
Program Access is not:
- being in a separate area or participating in alternate activities for the majority of the program.
- hiring, selection or guaranteed the assignment of a certain staff member.
- individualized therapy.
- an exception to minimum compliance of program rules established for safety.
- provision and/or purchase of personal custom devices.
Examples of Reasonable Modifications:
- Sign Language Interpreter
- Enhanced Staff-to-Participant Ratio
- Adaptive Equipment
- Ongoing Disability & Sensitivity Training for Staff
- Braille or Large Print
- Companions or Job Coaches
*Reasonable modifications will be determined after an assessment has been completed and varies for each individual.
to request A Reasonable Modification:
- Register for a selected program through ActiveMontgomery.org.
- Request a reasonable modification.
- We will connect with you to assess needs and make reasonable modifications.
Whenever reasonable, patrons should make requests for modifications at least 14 calendar days in advance of the program/event start date. Participants will be required to complete our Modification Intake Form.
For more information on Program Access and modifications contact 301-495-2581 or ProgramAccess@MontgomeryParks.org.