Maryland-National Capital Park Police – Montgomery County Ride-Along Program
Citizens and prospective Police Officer candidates are encouraged to participate in the Ride-Along Program and find out for themselves what the Maryland-National Capital Park Police is all about. Anyone, 13 years or older (minors must have parental permission), can take a half-day or a whole-day ride along with a Park Police Officer. Thinking about a law enforcement career? Find out what it’s all about by riding along with an experienced officer. In case of emergencies, citizens may be asked to leave the area for their own safety. Every effort will be made to accommodate your choice of time and date.
Ride-Along Program Participant Rules
- The Division’s ride-along program is available to all persons over the age of 13. No one individual may ride more often than once every three months without the permission of the Patrol Commander.
- All participants shall be required to complete and sign the Ride-Along Application and Waiver form. If the participant is under 18 years old, his/her parent or guardian must also sign the form giving consent.
- All ride alongs shall be scheduled at the Division’s convenience.
- Participants shall wear proper casual dress attire, such as slacks and a shirt or blouse. No T-shirts or shorts are permitted.
- Ride alongs shall be scheduled for a four-hour period. Longer periods may be approved upon request.
- In the case of a potentially dangerous or hazardous call, civilians shall be dropped off at a safe location and arrangements made to pick the ride along up.
- Participants shall not become involved in any situation except at the officer’s request.
- Participants shall remain in or on the police vehicle (horse, motorcycle, boat, or car) unless advised otherwise by the officer.
- Participants shall comply with the officer’s instructions at all times and shall wear appropriate safety equipment, as required.
NOTE: Failure to comply with any of the aforementioned rules shall result in the immediate termination of the ride-along.