Montgomery Parks is working to bring public art to the recently opened Gene Lynch Urban Park in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland. In January 2023, the department issued a call for artist submissions and received over 100 entries by the March 10, 2023 deadline. An artist selection panel narrowed the submissions down to four finalists whose artwork will be part of a public voting process to determine the winner. Submissions were considered based on the following project goals:
- The artwork should improve the overall visitor experience by creating a memorable and strong sense of place.
- The artwork may express the community’s culture and identity and may reference elements from the surrounding geographic area, natural systems, or site history.
- The artwork may draw from current historical movements and or events.
- The artwork may use any media appropriate for installation on outdoor walls, columns, and/or the spaces between the columns. It should be integral to the pergola structure and could take the form of a mural, mosaic, 3-D mounted sculpture, etc., and may include a combination of different media.
- The artwork shall be permanent, durable, and easy to repair and maintain.
The winning submission will be permanently featured in the park. The artist will be awarded $100,000 for the design and implementation of the artwork, including all artist fees, labor, materials, equipment, fabrication, installation, transportation, and travel costs.
Rules for public voting:
- Voting takes place from September 11, 2023 – October 11, 2023
- Only one vote may be submitted per person
- Votes may be submitted in one of three ways (Name and email are required):
- By mail to 2425 Reedie Drive, 12th Floor, Wheaton, Md., 20902, Attention: Public Affairs
- By phone call to 301.495.2595
The concept which receives the most votes will be deemed the winner.
- In the event of a tie, the panel will determine the winning artwork.
- The winner will be announced to the public via a press release, on the project website, and on Montgomery Parks’ social media platforms.
Submission #1: Synesthesia
Submission #2: Elevate
Submission #3: Swarm
Submission #4: Reach Higher